This course teaches safe boat handling and seamanship in powerboats.
At PDSSA we take this course in a variety of powered craft on tidal coastal waters. You will gain experience in boats from small tiller steer RIBS to larger console wheel steer RIBS and also if time allows a run through the exercises in our Plymouth Pilot, a small displacement training powerboat.
It is recommended that all participants consolidate this short introduction with the Safety Boat Course and/or Intermediate powerboat day cruise course as well as practice between courses.
- Two Days
Pre – requisites
- Experience – None but RYA Powerboat Level 1 is recommended
- Knowledge – None but RYA Powerboat Level 1 is recommended
- Specialist Equipment & Clothing – None
- Age – Minimum age 12+
ENDORSEMENTS FOR YOUNG DRIVERS UNDER 16 WILL BE ITEM 1 AND ITEM 2 FOR ANYONE THAT REQUIRES ANY FORM OF ASSISTANCE TO COMPLETE THE COURSE
- Is aged 12-16 years and should only use powered craft under the supervision of a responsible adult.
- For some reason Assistance is required to complete the course.
Launch and Recovery
- The use of a trailer or launch trolley
- Considerations of launching and sea conditions, including hazards and obstructions
- Number of persons required to launch/recover
- Construction, width and condition of slipway
- Steep/slippery slipways, beach launching, lee shores
- Care of trailer bearings, hitch, lashings, ties, lights and winch
- Trailer parking
- Prepare the boat, lines, fenders, safety equipment, fuel tanks, lines and secure gear on board
- Prepare to go afloat
- Tie relevant knots
Plymouth & Devon Schools Sailing Association
WARNING: Don’t use the postcode on a sat nav to find us….you won’t !!
You’ll find us at the southern end of the Barbican Wharves between the Barbican Landing stage, The Old White House on the end of Pheonix Wharf and Elphinstone car park. All of this below the south eastern quarter of the Royal Citadel. Check us out on the map here and on our contact page.