This course teaches techniques used in powerboats to escort racing fleets of dinghies and windsurfers as well as providing safety rescue cover for fleets and assisting in race management. Techniques for the safe recovery of monohull, multihull, foiling craft, kaykers, paddle boarders, kitesurfers and their equipment is covered either in practical sessions wherever possible or through theory with the use of multimedia demonstration.
At PDSSA we take this course in a variety of powered craft on tidal coastal waters. You will gain experience in boats from small tiller steer RIBS to larger console wheel steer RIBS and also if time allows a run through the exercises in our Plymouth Pilot, a small displacement training powerboat.
It is recommended that all participants consolidate this short introduction with practice between courses with other experienced crew.
- Two Days
Pre – requisites
- Experience – RYA Powerboat Level 2 with some additional experience of powerboat handling
- Knowledge – Some knowledge of sailing and other powered craft is recommended, RYA Powerboat Level 2 knowledge is required
- Specialist Equipment & Clothing – None
- Age – Minimum age 16+
ENDORSEMENTS FOR ANYONE THAT REQUIRES ANY FORM OF ASSISTANCE TO COMPLETE THE COURSE
- Boat checks
- Safety equipment including killcord management, sharp knife and first aid kit
- Crew communication
- Race management duties including marking abandoned boats
Plymouth & Devon Schools Sailing Association
WARNING: Don’t use the postcode on a sat nav to find us….you won’t !!
You’ll find us at the southern end of the Barbican Wharves between the Barbican Landing stage, The Old White House on the end of Pheonix Wharf and Elphinstone car park. All of this below the south eastern quarter of the Royal Citadel. Check us out on the map here and on our contact page.
- Build up some experience at our Open Sailing Sessions
- Sign up for a RYA Intermediate Powerboat Course
- Become a safety boat driver or crew volunteer at PDSSA
- Become a member join our association for discounted rates on all eligible sessions and courses