On successful completion of this course you will have a confident, safe approach to planning and executing a short day sail in a dinghy.
At PDSSA we take this course in a variety of small dinghies. You may be sailing single handed, in a two man boat with another sailor and an instructor close to you in a safety boat. An instructor will generally only get onboard with you to demonstrate a technique.
It is recommended that all participants consolidate their skills by practicing between courses.
- 16 Hours split over two consecutive days or run over a series of shorter sessions.
Pre – requisites
- Experience – RYA National Sailing Scheme Better Sailing Level 3 , RYA Youth Sailing Scheme Start Sailing Stage 4 or Equivalent. Additionally RYA National Sailing Scheme Advanced Module Seamanship Skills if planning to cruise alone.
- Knowledge – RYA National Sailing Scheme Better Sailing Level 3 , RYA Youth Sailing Scheme Start Sailing Stage 4 or Equivalent. Additionally RYA National Sailing Scheme Advanced Module Seamanship Skills if planning to cruise alone.
- Specialist Equipment & Clothing – None
- Age – Generally 16+. We will assess younger individuals based on confidence, attention and accepting instruction, ability on/around water and previous experience prior to accepting them onto a course.
- Parental/Guardian consent for under 18 year olds
- Confidence In and Around Open Water
Plymouth & Devon Schools Sailing Association
WARNING: Don’t use the postcode on a sat nav to find us….you won’t !!
You’ll find us at the southern end of the Barbican Wharves between the Barbican Landing stage, The Old White House on the end of Pheonix Wharf and Elphinstone car park. All of this below the south eastern quarter of the Royal Citadel. Check us out on the map here and on our contact page.
- Build up some experience at our Open Sailing Sessions
- Sign up for a RYA National Sailing Scheme Advanced Sailing Courses
- Become a member join our association for discounted rates on all eligible sessions and courses