On successful completion of this course you will now be more safety conscious and capable of sailing without an instructor on board in light to moderate conditions. This improver course aims to bridge the gap between Basic skills and the RYA Advanced sailing modules. The course gives an introduction to each of the five advanced modules so that you can decide which avenue of sailing you’d prefer to progress as well as consolidate your earlier learning.
At PDSSA we take this course in a variety of small dinghies. You may be sailing single handed, in a two man boat with another sailor and an instructor close to you in a safety boat or possibly in a crewed boat with an instructor on board.
It is recommended that all participants consolidate their basic skills with the better sailing level 3 course as well as practice between courses.
- 16 Hours split over two consecutive days
Pre – requisites
- Experience – RYA National Sailing Scheme Basic Skills Level 2 or Equivalent
- Knowledge – RYA National Sailing Scheme Basic Skills Level 2 or Equivalent
- Specialist Equipment & Clothing – None
- Age – Generally 18+. We will assess younger individuals based on confidence, attention and accepting instruction, ability on/around water and previous experience prior to accepting them onto a course.
- Parental or Guardian Consent for under 18 year olds
- Understands how to use rig and sail controls to prepare the boat according to different weather conditions and sea states
- Can check a spinnaker is rigged correctly
- Can leave and return to a shore, jetty, mooring or slipway in light windward and leeward shore conditions
- Can recover a man overboard effectively
- Can use the sail tell-tales effectively
- Can reef a sail when required
- Can demonstrate a ‘dry capsize’
- Understands how to avoid inversion
- Can sail using efficient and skillful application of The Five Essentials
- Can tack maintaining boat speed and balance upwind
- Can gybe maintaining boat speed and balance
- Can show good use of crew and to best effect
- Understands when to and the importance of manoeuvre timing
Plymouth & Devon Schools Sailing Association
WARNING: Don’t use the postcode on a sat nav to find us….you won’t !!
You’ll find us at the southern end of the Barbican Wharves between the Barbican Landing stage, The Old White House on the end of Pheonix Wharf and Elphinstone car park. All of this below the south eastern quarter of the Royal Citadel. Check us out on the map here and on our contact page.
- Build up some experience at our Open Sailing Sessions
- Sign up for a RYA National Sailing Scheme Advanced Sailing Courses
- Become a member join our association for discounted rates on all eligible sessions and courses