This course builds on the knowledge and skills learnt from ‘Start Racing’, developing greater awareness of the key principles of starting, boat handling, boat speed, strategy and tactics. We do this through the course time and regular race activity.
It is recommended that all participants consolidate their skills by practicing between courses.
- 16 Hours split over two consecutive days or run over a series of shorter sessions.
Pre – requisites
- Experience – RYA National Sailing Scheme Advanced Module Start Racing or Equivalent
- Knowledge – RYA National Sailing Scheme Advanced Module Start Racing or Equivalent
- Specialist Equipment & Clothing – None
- Age – Generally 16+. We will assess younger individuals based on confidence, attention and accepting instruction, ability on/around water and previous experience prior to accepting them onto a course.
- Parental/Guardian consent for under 18 year olds
- Confidence In and Around Open Water
- Understands the importance of fitness for sailing
Has a Knowledge of
- How to use a tuning guide
- How to setup a boat for specific conditions
Understands how to prepare a boat for club racing including
- Control lines
Plymouth & Devon Schools Sailing Association
WARNING: Don’t use the postcode on a sat nav to find us….you won’t !!
You’ll find us at the southern end of the Barbican Wharves between the Barbican Landing stage, The Old White House on the end of Pheonix Wharf and Elphinstone car park. All of this below the south eastern quarter of the Royal Citadel. Check us out on the map here and on our contact page.
- Build up some experience at our Open Sailing Sessions
- Sign up for a RYA National Sailing Scheme Advanced Sailing Course
- Sign up for our RYA National Sailing Scheme Start Racing Scheme
- Join a local race series checkout The Port of Plymouth Sailing Association for Local Dinghy Race Clubs
- Become a member join our association for discounted rates on all eligible sessions and courses